Thursday, July 22, 2010

Letter #2: The Waffle Guy (aka "Crush/Boyfriend")




Dear Waffle Guy, 

Once, when we were still pretty new, I had a very bad day. You listened while I babbled, and held me while I cried, and talked me through to the other side of my tears. And when it was all done, I looked at you and said, "I don't deserve you."

Do you remember what you said next? Because I'll never forget it. You said: "Love isn't something you can earn or deserve."

I looked at you, all confused, and you continued to explain, "If you could do something to earn love, then you could do something to make me stop loving you. It's not that way. I just love you."

It was the first time in my life I didn't feel like I had anything to prove, perhaps the most liberating moment I've yet experienced. You didn't want the cleaned-up, spiffy, polished version of me that I'd always tried to sell. You wanted ME. 

It was in that moment that I finally started to understand who I am. I finally stopped performing, and started living. Thank you for that.

For the record, I just love YOU, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment