Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lessons from a Tourist's Photos: Just Cross The Flippin' Bridge Already


Every now and again, I feel like I suffer from Late-Onset Adulthood. You know those days when you were learning your lessons and sewing your oats and stuff? I was AWOL then, somehow, locked up in my completely oblivious little mind, and so I never really grew up. Now I'm figuring out the things that the rest of the world learned at fifteen. It's a little bit awkward, although I'm proud to report that I've experienced virtually no acne in this bizarre and belated launch period.

For a very wide variety of reasons, I missed the years when most people are concerned about fashion trends or dating or the antics of the characters in the latest trendy television serial. I was too busy surviving. And then all of a sudden, everything changed. For the first time in my life, I'm beginning to understand what it means to thrive, and it feels amazing.

Except when it doesn't. 

Because sometimes, moving forward feels like a traffic jam. 

For example, four months ago, I quit smoking. Not like I quit smoking last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. This time, I really quit smoking. To prove it, I gained 15 pounds immediately. I'm not as young as I used to be, and the weight is proving to be incredibly hard to take off. I've never been overweight, and truth be told, I'm hardly overweight now. But looking in the mirror is so bloody frustrating that I forget that my new appearance is proof of a healthier me. I curse the hours I now have to spend at the gym, instead of celebrating the newer, healthier lifestyle I'm creating. I forget that just a few short months ago, I was a slave to an addiction that I wasn't sure I'd be strong enough to escape. I beat it, and it was easier than I thought. Victory, right? Except for those pounds. 

And so the cycle continues. I get so caught up in beating myself up about my newest challenge that I forget to look at the challenges as the beautiful, educational, important journeys that they are. I look at the present, and convince myself myself I'm stuck here. I look at the future, and find it a bit frightening.

But I forget to look at the past, and see how far I've progressed. I forget that it doesn't matter how long it took me to get here. The point is, I arrived.

Organization is another weak spot for me, and tonight I found myself once again working much harder to clean my house than I should have had to work. If only I'd emptied the dishwasher when it was finished, I thought, then dirty dishes would never have piled up in the sink and I could have spent that time mopping instead. In a fit of frustration, I finished the dishes and went to bed for some cathartic time spent looking at photos of happy things.

That's when I found the picture of the bridge. This bridge over Germany's Mosul river was so striking to me, in part because it was ominous and cold and threatening against the springtime sky. From down below, it felt like it must be scary to cross it.

And that's the thing about bridges: you just have to cross them, whether they're welcoming and quaint or easy and current or big and cold and frightening. It doesn't matter what the bridge looks like, really. The point is to find out what's on the other side. 

Here's hoping the gym is fun, over there.


No comments:

Post a Comment