Thursday, May 6, 2010

Light from Within, and a Waffle Quote


Okay, so the quote is not even kind of about waffles. It's about love. Which I guess means it IS about waffles, because they are the food of love, but I digress.

Check it:

"Even after all this time the sun never says to the earth, 'You owe me.' Look what happens with a love like that. It lights the whole sky."
That one comes to us courtesy of our friend Hafiz of Shiraz, the 14th century Persian poet who made his European counterpart, Chaucer, seem like a staff writer for USWeekly. Google him, and you'll find a wellspring of poems and quotes and musings that will soothe your soul. Guaranteed remedy for a bad day.

I've been on the receiving end of a love like that, and I can tell you that it's a life-changing thing to experience. It's easy to think that our resources are finite; that we cannot love without first receiving love; that we all eventually run out of steam. And to a degree, that might be true.

But there are people out there like Waffle Guy, or like my children, or the Waffle Dogs, or some of my dearest friends. There's a sort of person who has an endless capacity to let their light shine, and when you're lucky enough to encounter one of them, it lights you up, too. I'm wondering if those people, like the sun, are fueled by some mysterious and powerful internal reaction that generates light enough to warm and nurture the world. What's the difference between those people and the rest of us?

For the next 24 hours, I'm just going to pretend that I'll never run out of energy. I'm going to try to love like I can light the sky, just for a day. And I'm not going to expect a thing in return. I'm not looking to turn into Mother Theresa overnight. But I am curious.

I'm wondering if there's a spark in me somewhere, just waiting to be fueled.

No comments:

Post a Comment