Monday, December 28, 2009

I See Waffles Everywhere (A Waffly Sort of Resolution)



It's been months since I've written here, which is a little bit shameful. Please forgive my neglect.

Truth be told, I'm not sure it was actually neglect as much as self-doubt that led me to stop blogging. It's not like we gave up on our project. On the contrary, we've settled into a lovely little Sunday routine. We've very nearly perfected our recipe, and we believe Papa Peter, maker of The Waffle That Started It All, would be proud. We've served waffles at Christmas parties, and sent them home with kids. We are Waffle Scientists, and we are proud of that.

The problem is that somewhere along the line, I started to wonder whether anyone would ever read any of this, as if that was my reason for writing in the first place. And then, on the off chance that someone would read it, I found myself laden with anxiety about whether simply recounting recipe after recipe would be enough to keep a reader engaged. The point is, I was missing the point.

I started this blog as a place to write creatively, and waffles were the impetus in part because they represented a delicious and exciting moment in my life. They were a tangible representation of the love I felt at a particular moment in time. And I wanted to explore that love, to understand how it worked and what made it so magical. Metaphorically speaking, waffles are everywhere: They are those moments in life when you stop to notice what's going on. They are rich and dense and sensuous and sweet, and they make you crave more.
And so, I'm expanding the content of The Waffle Quest to include all sorts of Waffle Moments. While I'll still subject anyone silly enough to read this to the occasional recap of Waffle Sunday, I hereby pledge that at least once per week, I will update this blog with the heavy dough-y goodness of life. And then maybe I won't worry so much about my content being too narrow in its focus.

That's resolution Number 2 for 2010. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment